While we wait - A True Ghost Story

Couple holding hands, A true Nova Scotia Ghost story

  Growing up I was never really close to my mother as she always seemed to need the advice and approval of my youngest sister. Tragically this sister died suddenly without warning from a massive heart attack at the age of fifty two. 

 This left my mom truly heartbroken as she had already buried her three boys and another infant daughter. Being in her early eighties she needed someone to depend upon and take on the role my sister had provided. They were mighty big shoes to fill but I stepped into them without hesitation. It was time to repay this remarkable woman for all she had done in her life and the sacrifices she had made for our family.


 For the next year I saw my mother almost every day and I overlooked everything from her daily life to her personal and medical care. Being a retired nurse's aide with experience in working with the elderly it gave me the knowledge to pick up the slightest change in her health. 

 When I went to visit her one day this reasonable active lady could not walk or even stand! Immediately I knew something was seriously wrong and contacted her family doctor. Explaining my mother's symptoms the doctor told me I'd have to accept that mom was getting old then asked what it was I expected her to do. Those were fighting words and I told her exactly what I expected her to do, admit her to the hospital and run some tests!


 I was aware my mother was not a spring chicken anymore but when a person just a day before could walk to my car with no help you don't go to sleep that night and wake up an invalid. Begrudgingly the doctor told me to take her to the hospital and they would have a bed for her.


  After getting help to get mom into my car we left for the hospital. It was on this drive that mom turned to me and asked if I would make a promise to her. In response I replied that if the promise was in my power to do so I would. With tears in her eyes she said, “Please don't let me die in the hospital Sherry." Swallowing hard I promised my mother that no matter what I would make sure that didn't happen. Well....once the tests were run the doctor discovered mom had a bleed on her brain! I'm pretty sure if I hadn't got her seen to when I did she probably wouldn't have lived for another five years.


 Soon after her recovery my older sister Linda and I decided mom should move in with her as she lived alone. It worked out really well and I know my mother was happy those last few years. Although she lived in another county now I called my mother every night and made weekly visits to do her personal care and check her over. My sister took very good care of our mother and they travelled far and wide while mom was mobile. 

 Up until she was over ninety mom was bright as a new penny and got around with very little help. A few months before her death she caught pneumonia and that was the turning point for her. She survived but her once sharp mind was now gone and she was convinced she could no longer walk. Each week I could see her slowing fading away and the end was drawing near.


 I had shared my promise with Linda and she agreed to honour mom's wish to die at home if I would be there to the end. On January 11, 2013 I got a call from my sister as I was getting ready for my weekly visit.  The V.O.N. nurse could not arouse mom  during her morning visit so the paramedics were called. I made an emergency call to the family doctor and told her the situation and that mom would be dying at home in her own bed. She agreed and said that was fine as there would be nothing she could do for her at this point. Calling Linda back I said I would be there as soon as possible and told her to send the ambulance away.


 Meeting me at the door Linda said the paramedics told her mom would be gone by noon. Without even thinking I replied that mom wasn't dying today. I have no idea how I knew that but I did. Looking a bit perplexed Linda asked how long I thought she would live? Again I opened my mouth and said three to five days. 

 Rushing to mom's bedside I started to speak to her and stroked her soft hand when suddenly she opened her eyes and looked straight at me. The nurse was still there and she looked at mom in complete shock. It was quite apparent the nurse had come to the same conclusion as the paramedics.


 I felt very privileged to be able to look after my mom in her final days. Linda and I took turns sitting with her so she wouldn't be alone. The first night being there it was very quiet and peaceful but that was about to change.


 The next evening I had gone to the basement to put wood in the furnace. The door to the stairs had a distinct method of closing it. You had to pull the knob then turn it whereupon you would actually feel and hear the "click" to know it was latched. This night Linda was sitting in her chair when I came upstairs and I carefully closed the door, felt and heard it click then walked a few steps into the room when suddenly the door swung open.  That surprised Linda and myself as her floors aren't level and the door doesn't stay shut unless it is latched properly. Wide eyed she said I heard that door “click"! To me it was just a minor occurrence which I laughed and went on with my business.


 The next afternoon my niece and her husband arrived from Bridgewater. She was very close to my mother as we had been raised more like sisters than niece and aunt. I took her into mom's room while her husband stayed in the kitchen talking with Linda. We hadn't been in the room very long when we both heard the kitchen door open and close then we heard a woman and child talking. We waited thinking whoever had entered the house would be in to see mom. Listening and only hearing the voices of Linda and my niece's husband we decided to investigate.


 Entering the kitchen there was no woman or child in the room. Curious I asked who had just come in. Linda gave me a strange look and said nobody. At first I thought she was playing around but when I said we had both heard a woman and child she became frightened. My niece's husband also swore they had been alone the entire time. That was two weird things which left me wondering if they'd be three like the old saying goes....


 After everyone had left I made sure mom was comfortable then banked the furnace for the night. As I was about to enter the kitchen the snow shovels leaning against the wall went flying across the room! They didn't slide down to the floor, the handles were picked up and slung from some unknown force and landed at least fifteen feet away from the door. 

 Hearing the racket Linda who was in the bathroom hollered out, "What the hell was that?" I said it's just someone throwing the shovels around. After I picked them up and was about to replace them were they belonged I heard a rustle. Looking down I noticed the bag of opened salt leaning against the wall was slowly moving by itself. Curious I knelt on one knee and stared intently to see if the movement would continue with me closely watching it or stop.


 This bag was a large one you buy to melt ice and as everyone knows they're very heavy. Much to my amazement the bag was pulled from the wall by unseen hands and stood upright with no outside support. I had never witnessed this sort of activity before so I have to admit I was somewhat awestruck. The bag stood stationary for a minute or two then very slowly started to lean towards me. 

 The movement seemed to be completely controlled as to me it appeared all this was in slow motion. Thinking this may be the one and only time I'd ever experience such a phenomenon I continued to watch. When it got to the angle the salt was about to spill out of the top is when I grabbed the bag. Shaking the bag I replaced it along with the shovels making sure they would be hard to move if someone or something wanted to play again. This latest occurrence really seemed to upset Linda because it was so obvious that something was trying to let us know we weren't alone.


 Turning to me she said you're the reason these things are happening! Nothing has ever happened in this house until you came! Of course I didn't believe that so her accusations did tick me off. I told her I thought it was our father who had always been a trickster letting us know he was there waiting for mom to pass over. 

 The things that happened I didn't consider to be "scary", as to me it appeared someone probably dad was letting us know mom wouldn't be alone when she passed which I found comforting. Looking upwards I said, "Dad...if this is you letting us know you're here you don't have to play around anymore."


 That night I had a feeling would be mom's last so I lay beside my mother stroking her cheek and whispering in her ear telling her how loved she was and it was ok if she wanted to go. Around 7:00 a.m. she drew her last breath and left this world for a better place. She died on the 4th day after my arrival so my prediction turned out to be more accurate than the time the paramedics and health nurse had given her. 


 It was sad to lose our mother but she died just shy of her 92nd birthday so she lived a long and at times hard life. It was a wonderful feeling to know I was able to keep my promise with the help of my sister Linda. 

 That was close to five years ago and since my stay at Linda's home she has reported many times nothing paranormal or weird has happened in the years following my mother's death. Therefore she takes great pleasure that she was "right" and I was the reason for the activity we witnessed during those four days. 

 Did I bring something unexplainable into her home? I don't believe so but if I did it apparently left with me.





Written by: Sherry L.



 

The paranormal world can very fascinating! If you are from Nova Scotia, and have experienced something paranormal, or a event that happened to someone you know, we would love to share your story! 


No comments:

Post a Comment